Monday, June 20, 2016

Putting New Treads on My Tires


Quite an interesting full day today.  I've been staying at the Best Western in Ticonderoga since Saturday.  I have a great suite with a king bed.  I'm very comfortable.  They have a decent restaurant and bar and Walmart is just down the street.  


I left the hotel this morning at 7:30 and headed to Lake Placid (photo above).  It's 40 miles away, so why not?  I would describe it as a little hamlet on the water.  I didn't know what to expect really.  I saw the ski jump ramps from the highway as I was approaching the town.  There are several designer clothing shops and plenty of places to grab a bite to eat.  A town library that is interesting.  No free parking anywhere, except when I went to Church - thanks God!  It wasn't too crowded around town.  Most of the people on the street were my age group or older.  There was sport shop where you can buy every kind of Olympic wear possible.  I bought the grandkids some Madlibs so we cam play with those when I see them next month.  On the highway into town there is an Olympic sports training center - I don't know if it is open to the public.  


John Brown with a beard (in disguise)
John Brown
On the way out of town I noticed the historical marker for John Brown's home.  He didn't live there very often since he was wanted by the law and had to keep moving, but his family lived there.  He did bring slaves who stayed at his home on their way up north to Canada.  

The park service proctor who gave the tour, Hunter, started his job as the resident historian for the house 5 days ago.  He did a great job explaining various pieces in the house and sharing stories.    One of the things he showed me was a Bed Key - a long wooden rod with prongs on one end and a handle on the other end.  Since the beds used a rope and board foundation under the feather bed you needed the Bed Key to turn to tighten the rope on the bed frame., just like shoe laces you start at one side and work your way to the other side tightening along the way.  Hence the phrase "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite.  If they do, squeeze them tight so they won't come back another night." 
John Brown's home
John Brown was an abolitionist   who had a long history of rescuing runaway slaves.  John and his men tried to steel weapons from Harpers Ferry in Virginia to arm the slaves.  They were caught, captured, and hung.  Two of his sons were with him.  They are all buried on the property.  
The grave stone in the foreground was moved from John Brown's grandfathers grave and brought to John's home in Elba New York.  John's name was added along with others.  It is believed that there are at least 8 men buried in John Brown's grave.  His two sons are laid to rest next to him.  

For lunch I stopped at a lakeside park and had a picnic.  I love being by the water, hearing the waves, watching the sea shimmer in the sunlight.  It is one of the things I love to do most.  It is so chillaxing.



Later, I met Don Papson, author and historian, at the Underground Railroad Museum in Chasm, New York.  He was well versed in the role New York played in supporting run away slaves.  I recommend visiting the museum if you are in the area.  There is an annual celebration commemorating the author of Fifty Years a Slave, Solomon Northup, in Chasm every July.  Northrup's family members attend and it draws quite a crowd. 
Don and I were talking about my trip and sharing places to visit.  When I told him I was embarking on a new journey, looking for the next work opportunity, he told me I was "putting new treads on my tires."  I told him I was going to use his phrase because that is exactly what I am doing.  He also recommended that I drive to Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington on the way back to Ticonderoga.  Thanks for the tip Don!

Before I headed to the mountain, I crossed the street from the museum to visit Ausable Chasm - it is a place where you can see waterfalls, walk along the river, or go rafting through the rapids.  





Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington is 4867 feet above sea level. In 1928 FDR who was NY Governor at the time commissioned WWI veterans to dig into the mountain so a person in a wheel chair could arrive at the summit.  The work was completed in 1938.  There is a tunnel cut into the mountain at the end of the roadway that takes you to the summit in an elevator traveling 27 stories up in a minute 20 seconds. If you want to walk up to the top, there are stairs and boulders you can navigate.  The view of the Adirondacks is stunning.  Looking north, there is a mountain visible that is between you (on Whiteface) and the North Pole. No kidding.  It is called Whiteface because the face of the mountain is covered in snow in the winter.  
























4 comments:

  1. Very interesting, love the pictures!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading The cloudsplitter -it's about John Brown as told by one of his sons. I put it down until another time. Interesting that you went there and to see the photos. Glad you are having a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that I came across John Brown's house. I just happened to see the road sign and turned in. That's what I love about road trips, change happens every day.

      Delete