Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Today was very laid back.  I slept in and after lunch I visited this really cool nail salon owned by a woman from Colombia.  The decor is so unusual.  Burlap coffee bean sacks on the walls and also used for arm rests on a split wooden tables with the curved sides up. Brown tones on the walls and floor.  Espresso Colombian coffee served with unrefined Columbian sugar which they import directly from the farmers.  Salsa dance music plays in the background.  Indirect lighting helps keep the place mello.  The pedicure took an hour with the foot massage.   I didn't want to leave.  My nail technician Kelly was a wonderful impressive young lady.  She left Viet Nam by herself when she was 18 years old.  Enduring hardships when she arrived in the US, she soon worked thru them and now in addition to working at Mi Cumbia she has a fashion blog and a line of clothing.  She takes classes for self improvement.  And she is one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.  Everyone there was happy, friendly, and enjoyable to be around.  I highly recommend this spa if you are in Philadelphia - don't pass up the opportunity to pamper your body and soul.







After my spa treatment I walked to Reading Market for a late lunch.  I had been there in 1999 when I was working the RMHC International Conference for their 25th anniversary.  It's a cool market.  You can buy raw meat, fish, veggies, fruit, bread and other specialty items or you can sit and have a meal and beverage from one of the many ethnic vendors.  The market takes up a city block.  It's a great place to grab something to eat and people watch.






Walking around town there's a lot to see in this city.  I love the old architecture mixed in with newer buildings.  I've walked at least 5 miles each day and love seeing the different neighborhoods and specialty shops.  













I have been staying at this really nice bed and breakfast, La Reserve (www.LaReserveBandB.com)  The owner and staff are so kind and hospitable.  I love Ed the day manager.  He bakes cookies for afternoon tea - Yum!  I have suite with a large living room and full kitchen, so I grocery shopped so I have dinner in.  It has been a real treat staying here and enjoying Philly.  



No comments:

Post a Comment