Saturday, May 21, 2016

Martinsburg, West Virginia Tonight

Left Toledo this morning- chilly and drizzling.  Saying farewell to the family after a special breakfast of blueberry pancakes and egg scrambler.   We took our porch photos as usual, but Cecilia was taking her morning nap.



Heading east, the mountains of Pennsylvania were a welcoming sight.  Trees breaking through the rock and leaning towards the road.  Layer upon layer of sediment ribbons in various colors and textures.  Wild flowers of purple, yellow and red dot the roadside. The mountain tops are shrouded with clouds and wisps of fluffy cloud fingers reaching down to the trees below. So beautiful.  Sadly, it was raining, so I didn't stop to take pictures.  These mountains are a real contrast to the Rockies.  I thought about the mountains in Simi Valley where Christina lives and the Smiley face on the side of the mountain that welcomes her home each night.  Both coasts are beautiful, not one more than the other.

Today I went to visit Carol.  I haven't seen her in a few years.  We worked together on some of the coolest events.  We traveled to Lisbon, Thailand, Japan, and of course downtown Chicago.  She was one the brightest most talented producers I've ever met.  She taught me how to produce and manage productions. I will be forever grateful for the talent and knowledge she freely shared with me.  

A couple years ago, she became ill and could no longer work in production.  She moved back to Pittsburgh to live with her family.  I was thrilled to see her today.  As soon she saw me she gave me a huge hug.  Her illness affects her speech, but she was able to introduce me to her caregivers and was cracking jokes.  I said, "Who loves you baby?"  and she replied, "Whose the biggest fool?" and started laughing.  We both cracked up.  I missed Carol and her wit.  I am so glad I had the opportunity to spend time with her.  She is only 4 hours from son's house.  I know will visit her again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment